Monday, April 26, 2010

Business Relationships

Here's something I wrote last week:

"Second is a coming partnership with a well-known scouting company that will roughly triple the visits I get. They're about as well-respected and widely-read as you can get, so trying to nail down the specifics of the partnership is crucial."

Well, the deal has been concluded. You know what's so funny about how the deal was made? I've never even met them in person. I know that's not rare in business today, but it's amazing that technology can link up people across state lines and partnerships can be made without physically meeting.

I guess what I'm saying is that the old method of sealing deals with a handshake is close to becoming obsolete in some sectors. The company (which shall remain nameless until the announcement) that I've partnered with found my work online, followed it for awhile, sought contact through e-mail, then all it took was one phone conversation on an iPhone where I could look at an e-mail proposal, and the deal was done. It was that simple. Technology has really changed the way things work.

I think it has changed things for the better, but I'm not completely sure. In this situation, it has definitely worked out for the better. In the old days, when this company was only a magazine publisher with no web site, this could never have been possible. They would have never seen my work, and the odds are that I never would have started my work in the first place. Where would I have published it? I can't afford the cost of capital required to start my own magazine, so this wouldn't have even been possible 20 years ago.

However, I do sometimes wish the old business style of meeting face-to-face over dinner or in the office was still relevant. It is in a lot of contexts now, but not where I've been working with my own business. I wonder if I'll ever see that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment